Thursday 5 January 2012

Oh the Irony: No. 1 in series Captain Jack Startle....

 

In the first of the "Oh the Irony" Series, in which we focus on those who are living an ironic life, we meet 65 year old Jack Startle who captains fishing boat The Angry Kracken off the coast of Cornwall. Captain Startle ironically suffers from a rare form of Tourettes syndrome - Nautical Tourettes Syndrome, otherwise called NTS. Sufferers of Nautical Tourettes Syndrome shout out words of a nautical nature involuntarily and without warning. Jack has suffered from NTS all his life but claims his condition had no bearing on his decision to make a living from the sea. Startle states "It's a sailors life for me, I'm no landlubber. People try to make fun of me and make me look like an ANCHOR fool but I just think they are ignorant BARNACLES. My father's life was fishing SHIP and my life is fishing SHIP."

Hats off to Captain Jack who weathers the storm of Nautical Tourettes Syndrome everyday in his life on the open seas. 


1 comment:

  1. I don't know if this counts but recently I met a fire safety officier called Mr Burnem.

    ReplyDelete